Summer is starting and with summer comes one of the most popular shopping days of the year… Prime Day! Maybe you have missed it in years past or tried to shop and were overwhelmed, but for the past three years, Prime Day has been a huge shopping day for Amazon. In fact, last year, Prime Day racked up more sales than Black Friday! In true Amazon style, Prime Day 2018 is likely to be even better! So what is Prime Day and how do you score the best deals?
What is Prime Day?
Prime Day started back in 2015 to celebrate Amazon's 20th Birthday. The original Prime Day featured thousands of deals on popular consumer products ranging from Kindles to Kitchen Electrics like the Anova Sous Vide and Instant Pot. The event itself was extremely popular resulting in stock shortages and some frustrated customers. Overall, the day was a huge success and the Prime Day tradition began.
When is Prime Day 2018?
Amazon has not yet announced a date for Prime Day 2018. In years past, it has fallen in the second week of July. Last year the event was extended to be a 30-hour event with deals kicking off Monday, July 10th at 6 PM PST and extending through July 11th. Based on prior events, my best guess is that Prime Day 2018 will fall on Tuesday, July 10th. Chances are, the event kicks off on Monday evening once again.
What do I need to know about Prime Day?
- You must be a Prime Member to shop. If you are not a member, I recommend signing up for a 30 day free trial here. Prime Membership would be critical on Prime Day regardless. To catch deals, you often need to check out quickly, so you will want free Prime Shipping with no minimum purchase.
- Prime Day is not magical. It is not an Amazon clearance sale. If you see something you need at a great price leading up to Prime Day, you should not “wait for Prime Day”. Just like Black Friday, there is not a universal drop in prices, there are deals on specific items and categories. In fact, last year, there was an ENTIRE WEEK of deals leading up to Prime Day! A deal offered in this time frame is unlikely to be duplicated for Prime Day. Last year, Amazon created a landing page here for all the deals. This page will update when Prime Day is officially announced! (Last year Amazon announced the date on June 29th… so we are likely still a ways off of an announcement).
- There are literally THOUSANDS of deals! There's a good chance you will never even see half of them! One way to combat that is to follow our Facebook Page and join our premium Facebook deals group Kidz Steals and Deals. We start at 9 PM EST the night before Prime Day (East Coasters) and literally spend the entire day posting the best deals we find! There is no better way to get the deals handed to you. Some sell out so fast that we wouldn't even have enough time to do a full blog post. If you're not a member, click here and hit “Join”. It's an awesome group of over 90K moms, you'll love it!
How does Prime Day work?
Prime Day deals are available in 4 different formats.
- Deal of the Day: Many of the best Prime Day deals will be in a Deal of the Day type format. These deals are available for a specific period of time (usually all day or until they sell out). This is where you will typically find Amazon Devices like Kindle and Echo. In the past, this is where deals like Instant Pot and Roomba have been listed. The first deals will load at 12:00 AM PST. On Prime Day, new deals have loaded periodically throughout the day and as other deals have sold out.
- Lightning Deals: Last year there were THOUSANDS of Lightning Deals. So many that you could really only preview what was coming for the next hour or so and eventually it all fell apart and you couldn't see the future deals at all. Last year, we had two posts detailing the upcoming deals. One for Toys and one for Baby products. We also had discussion threads for Lightning Deals in our Facebook Group Kidz Steals and Deals. The threads weed out some of the less desirable items and highlight those upcoming deals that members are likely to be interested in. Lightning Deals are typically for a shorter period of time (about 3 hours or until sell out) and have a much more limited quantity. Last years' most popular Lightning Deals were for toys, GoPro, televisions and (for our FB Group) Lillebaby Baby Carriers. For tips on how to have the best chance at scoring a Lightning Deal, check out our post here.
- Promo Codes: One of the highlights of Prime Day is that there are typically a couple of category wide promo codes available to Prime Members. In previous years, there have been codes for Clothing & Shoes, Books, & Luxury Beauty. They ranged from 20% off to $10 off $50, but are a great opportunity to stock up on your favorite beauty products, update your kids' books or grab some school clothes for fall! (Note that sometimes these codes are single use, so be sure you understand the terms before jumping the gun)!
- Coupons: Prime Day isn't just for big purchases. Some of the best Prime Day deals were on everyday household items including diapers, wipes, laundry detergent, paper towels, snacks and more! We posted most of these types of deals to our Facebook Page for Grocery Deals. Many of these coupons were even sweeter when you selected Subscribe & Save, which allows you to save up to an additional 15% when you have 5 or more items for the month. If you aren't familiar with Subscribe & Save, I suggest you check out Amazon's FAQ here
What are the best Prime Day Deals?
Unlike Black Friday which is about shopping for gifts for others for the holidays, Prime Day is all about you. While many items featured do make great gifts, Amazon intentionally hunts down deals on the things YOU want and need.
- Prime Day Amazon Device Deals: Amazon devices are typically deeply discounted twice a year on Prime Day and Black Friday. In years past, Prime Day has featured some of the lowest prices on Echo, Dot and Kindle Fire. This year's deals should be even better than last year simply because the overall prices on many devices have dropped. Last year there was a great deal on Lego and Kindle Fire Kids. The deal was only good for 6 hours and sold out quickly.
- Prime Day Kitchen & Home Deals: Some of the best Prime Day deals are on Kitchen Electrics like Instant Pot and Anova Sous Vide. In addition, there have been vacuums and robot vacuums offered at great discounts! You can see many of the deals offered in our post from 2017 here.
- Prime Day Baby Deals: The most popular baby deals on Prime Day are on car seats and diapers. The Prime Day diaper deals are tough to beat! As you can see from our post last year, our followers saved up to 60% on a couple different brands of diapers and wipes! Last year, Amazon offered several car seat deals, but as you can see from our post here, Target's simultaneous baby sale was the winner in most cases.
- In addition, there are deals in nearly every category including clothing, shoes, toys, books, household products, beauty & personal care. As Prime Day approaches, we will have landing pages for all of the main categories to ensure you don't miss any great deals!
How can I be sure I am getting a good deal on Prime Day?
In years past, many Prime Day deals have been better than Black Friday. While you could try to figure it all out yourself, you don't have to! Prime Day is one of our favorite days of the year. We literally work around the clock to handpick the best Prime Day Deals and Prime Day 2018 will not be any different. There are three ways to be sure that you are seeing the best of what Prime Day has to offer.
- I highly recommend joining our premium Facebook deals group Kidz Steals & Deals. The group is the easiest place for us to post quickly and you also get the benefit of hearing the experiences and product recommendations of the more than 90K moms in the group. Once you are in the group, turn your notifications on so you know when deals are posted.
- You can follow our public Facebook page here. There is also an option to turn notifications on and set them to “see first” to ensure that our posts hit your newsfeed.
- Check back here frequently. We will update as we have more information on when Prime Day will start this year as well as what deals can be expected (Amazon does do some press releases to announce and promote the event).
Want to get the latest Prime Day info? Sign up for our mailing list below and be sure to tick the Prime Day box!